ASA IWA(CASSAVA PORRIDGE) - A NIGERIAN  LOCAL DISH

As far as food is concerned, Nigeria certainly is not lacking in great delicacies.


But when it comes to mouth-watering delicacies, only few ethnic groups in Nigeria can compete with the Efik and Ibibio of Cross River and Akwa Ibom states.


Generally called Calabar people, these tribes are masters of local ingredients and experts in handling seafood and aromatic spices.


In fact, tales has it that a Calabar woman’s food can lead a man to do whatever she wishes.

INGREDIENTS

Cassava
Vegetables
Pepper
Salt
Crayfish
Maggi
Dried fish
Periwinkles
Water
Palm oil
Scent leaves.

With the above ingredients, I prepared a Nigerian local dish which is commonly eaten by typical Ibibio people and the dish is called Asa Iwa(cassava porridge).

The dish is prepared by harvesting the root of cassava and peeling it, which is what I did. After peeling I washed it and grated it into a mash using a wooden grater.


Using a special leaf which is gotten from cocoyam, I wrapped the mash in tiny pieces till the mash was finished. I covered it up and kept it aside.


I prepared my ingredients of periwinkles, crayfish, pepper and the rest. This is a local dish so I prepared it the local way. I used firewood to cook as shown below.


RECIPE

First, I boiled a pot of water according to the quantity of my wrapped grated cassava. When the water began to boil, I added my crayfish, pepper, periwinkles and dried fish then I left it to boil more.

After 5 minutes, I added my sliced vegetables and left it for some minutes to boil too.
After a while, I poured my wrapped cassava into the pot and covered it.


I did not stir the food just yet because the wrapped cassava would be a mess if I did. So I let it boil and get strong then using a wooden spatula I stirred the food.

After that, I added enough palm oil and the food had a glowing colour. I stirred it and had a taste to be sure all ingredients were enough and boom! My food was ready!

This is how Asa Iwa is prepard.
Enjoy.




Comments